Monday, July 27, 2009

High...then low

SO...this was an interesting weekend!  I am really learning what my body can handle...and what it can't.  
So I did really well all week eating my 1200 cals...sat morning i ran, and stepped on the scale and ow and behold...175.2!!!!  I was ecstatic, elated, surprised and soooo excited.  I think I took that excitement a little tooo far because I proceeded to have prob 2000 calories worth of alcohol that night, plus prob 1000 calories of cheese.  awesome.  I had an awesome night though!  So sunday i knew I HAD to be be good...but I woke up with a massive headache...and the only cure for post drinking goodness is a huge big breakfast.  I am not kidding.  If you wake up with alcohol related issues, a big breakfast with eggs, toast, bacon, etc is the only way to go.  So anyways, thats what I ate.  Then later I had a cake tasting.  Also, I coulnt work out sunday because on Sat i got this massive blister on the back of my heel from running...prob a little bigger than the  size of a quarter-and it was painful!  
So the gist of this is that the beginning of the weekend was great success, but then I proceeded to ruin it all ending Monday morning with these current stats:
BW: 185
CW: 180
WEek weight lost: +3
Total weight lost: 5

what bull crap.  I am hoping it just water though and will come off in the next 24 non-eating and lots of sweating hours.

*sigh*

I think I will update the stats later, because I find it hard to believe that i gained 5 pounds in a matter of 48 hours.

OK, well getting ready to head out to the gym, hopefully this wont cause too much pain to my blister...I HAVE to work out this weekend.  I still want to be 175 by the end of the week, and legit this time.

7 comments:

  1. Don't stress Erica, the scale can be very decieving. Once a week weigh in's are hard because like you said, it could be any number of things, could just be water weight (sounds like you took in a lot of sodium on Sunday, which makes you retain water), it could even depend on how long it's been since you released the waste out of your body (nice way to say BM... lol). So don't be discouraged by the number on the scale! They say it's good to take an average of a few days weight, since this number can change by the day.

    Don't be discouraged though! You realize your mistakes and can make up for it this week! Try and keep your sodium intake low and get lots of fiber (preferably from green veggies) and then maybe weigh yourself mid-week to see if it has changed. It is impossible to gain 5 lbs of fat in a weekend... You would've had to lay around and eat 17,500 calories. lol. We both know you didn't do that! (we did drink a lot on Saturday, but we also danced for a good hour!) So no worries!! You're still on the right track!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Alyson...it was definitely weird dancing for joy one morning and then bumming out the next...but I know its all in crazy fluxuation. Maybe I shouldn't weight myself everyday? but I feel like it keeps me on track...esp when i weight myself right before I eat dinner

    In better news I worked out on Monday and i took pride in knowing I ran 1) at a faster pace- 6.5 mph rather than my usual 6.3...and I ran for 20 min rather than 15...so i felt pretty proud that i did that :)

    how is dieting going for you? Any noticeable success?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've experienced that before too and it's a bummer. You're like YAY I'VE REACHED MY GOAL... Oh, sike. Just kidding. lol. Then you feel all crappy, but don't! I know weighing yourself everyday sounds good in theory, but really if you do that you need to take an average to find your true weight... not just your weight based on whatever you did or didn't do that day. It's better to focus on progress, like you said... you can run longer and faster now, which means your body is changing and most likely even building muscle (which really does weigh more than fat... don't forget that) and you need to make sure you are still eating good. If you starve your body of nutrients it will burn your muscle first before it burns your fat, because muscles are also more nutrient dense then fat. So you will still lose weight, but you won't be toned and your workouts will be unproductive becuase you will lose energy (the reason a lot of people plateau). Anyway, enough of that. haha. I always liked to measure my progress by my workouts or the way I felt. You know you're definitely losing though, we saw how big your pants were!! So keep on doing what you're doing girl!

    So my diet is taking an unexpected turn in a weird direction. I've been having a lot of stomach problems lately and have since learned that I have to now go on a gluten free diet. So... I'm just now starting that. Which is kind of going to suck... but it's going to force me to eat better at least, and I will feel all around better. Also, I'm still having a hard time making workouts a priority, but trying to go to the gym at least 3 times a week. I'm still at 148ish. Which isn't hateful, but I was 160 in January, got down to a solid 142 in May and down 2+ pants sizes. Now I've put back on a good 6-8 lbs and my pants are a little tight, so I need to get rid of it and then some. I also just want to tone up all around. So I don't have a goal weight yet, I'm just more judging how my body looks and feels I guess. We'll see where that gets me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow alyson, congrats on the success you had earlier!

    You have a gluten problem? thats awful :( Andrews mom has that and it seems really bad...though I think there are different levels of it, maybe yours isnt that bad?

    Thanks for the outline though, honestly, i didnt know any of that stuff! If I think about it scientifically instead of getting emotional about it then I think I might have actual results.

    I was also thinking that I might be losing at a rate of 5 pounds a month...which i think would be healthy and normal. This would put me at 155 by the wedding which is pretty good and i think my goal (at least for the wedding)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I don't know if I have a gluten problem for sure, but I was allergic to wheat when I was younger, like I had to get all these tests done at the doctors. So my mom took it completely out of my diet and I seemed to get better. I gradually introduced it back in and was fine, so I assumed I had just kind of grown out of the allergy. For the last two years probably, I've been having a lot of stomach problems. Like after meals and certain things I get really bad stomach aches and cramps and bloating (same symptoms I had when I was younger). I've always just taken gas-x or something and just kind of dealt with the pain, not thinking too much of it. Now it's getting worse and I've been able to pin point wheat as the problem. I'm not sure about rye, I don't eat that a lot. I do drink beer which sometimes upsets my stomach too so I may be sensitive to barley as well. So, I was talking to my mom about going to the doctor to just get some medicine, but my mom is big into diet and nutrition as well and suggested the gluten free diet. She said if I go to the doctors the last thing they are going to do is change my diet, they are going to run tests and lab work and all that crap, which isn't cheap. So, I'm going to try the gluten free diet for a few months and see how I feel. It seems difficult becuase there is a lot you can't eat, but if it means no more stomach pains, I think I can make the sacrifice. I'll let you know how it goes!

    Yeah, I agree... losing weight really is a science. Which is why when I started getting into nutrition, I did hours of research a day on food and digestion and metabolism, and realized it's all very simple. Burn more than you consume. Do you ever watch TLC? There was a show on called "half ton man" - it was about like an 18 year old kid that weighed like 600+ pounds. I won't get too much into the story, but why I'm bringing it up is that a doctor came on the show, who specializes in surgeries and such for morbidly obese people. She flat out said that people that claim they have thyroid problems and metabolism problems and all that, are just using it as an excuse. She said, although those problems do exist, they don't mean you can't lose weight. Your body doesn't just arbitrarily make fat. Every extra pound you have on your body is a product of your lifestyle.... I was like "Wow, never thought of it like that". Anyways, sorry, I seem to ramble on in these comments. lol. I get all excited talking about it! haha

    5 pounds a month is healthy and normal... and once you start introducing weight training into your workouts as well as cardio... 155 will come sooner than you think! You will look fit and toned :) You can do it girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. about the gluten free thing, there is a book by Elizabeth hassleback I hear is good (and I would support her in anything!) but good luck with that, and I totally agree, dont waste money going to the doctor to run tests on something you already know in your gut (no pun intended!) on what to do. you know?

    I am getting a little upset that my weight loss has slowed down (I have watched my calories the past few days and have lost only .8 a pound!) but youre right, that is normal...5 pounds a month is nothing to sneer at. And I think that I am starting to get way to hung up on the number by a certain time...I should just try my best, scientifically and chemically eat and exercise what makes sense, then just see where i am come December...I still have a "goal" but maybe i shouldnt be so hung up on it because thats when emotions get involved and frustratons happen.

    So I have a question...on days that I dont do anything, I just ride to work and sit all day and ride home, i try to eat about 1200 calories a day...on days i workout and burn about 300 calories or so, should I eat 1500? how can I stup from my body burning muscle rather than fat? What was the rate that you lost weight, was it about 5 pounds a month?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks :) I'm looking up the book online. I definitely need to read up on it! I read that if you have these allergies and ingore them, they could cause long term damage to your small intestines. Don't want to risk that!

    Yes, please don't get discouraged. I rarely weigh myself. That is just a number to me. If I get to 140 or 135 and don't like the way my body looks, becuase I'm skin and no muscle... yeah I can tell everyone I'm 140, but I won't look or feel good. I look at my body and see what I want to look like and work for that. Maybe take your measurements and use that as a gauge as well. I do a lot of circuit training now... that's almost all I do. I will hop on the treadmill and run for 10 minutes... then I hop off and do 5 - 10 minutes of ab work, while my heart rate is still up. Then I get back on the treadmill and run for 10 more minutes, then hop off and work on my arms and legs for 10, etc... That way my heart rate is up for the whole workout so I'm burning maximum calories, and I'm not getting bored just straight running. Makes my workouts exciting when I really push myself!

    To answer your first question... Yes. For you I wouldn't drop below 1200 calories a day. On days you workout eat 1500 and burn 300. Make those 300 extra your pre and post workout snacks. Before your workout eat a fruit or veggie and a complex carb. Maybe 1 piece of wheat bread with a little bit of peanut butter and an apple or 1/2 a raw sweet potato (they are yummy) and some oatmeal. This will keep you energized through your workout. Then after your workout you need protein and more complex carbs. You NEED the protein because when you workout your muscle fibers actually tear and stretch. In order for them to repair and get stronger you need to feed your body protein. I eat like a hard boiled egg white or a handful of almonds and then another piece of whole wheat bread or something like that. Now you have just turned those extra 300 calories into fuel for your body to ensure that you will, to answer your second question, burn your fat and build muscle.

    To answer your last question... I guess mine was about 4 pounds per month. I cheated a lot though, which isn't horrible. I was still successful and happy and I dropped at least 2 pants sizes. I am more serious about it now. The only problem I have is with drinking :/ Why can't alcohol be calorie free!! 2 glasses of wine with dinner and theres 300+ calories I just added to my daily count. I guess I just need to decide whats important and stick with that!

    ReplyDelete